Situated in the heart of Central America, Costa Rica is a country brimming with exotic wildlife in its rugged and mountainous coastlines between the Caribbean and Pacific Ocean. Not only is Costa Rica home to beautiful rainforests, volcanoes, and beaches, but also to some of the warmest and generous people in this corner of the world! You will use dramas, dances, puppets, and soccer to catch the Ticos’ attention and share Christ with them. Futból (American soccer) is another fantastic way to get to know the Ticos, because they live and breathe the sport. Both types of ministry, performances and soccer, make for an intense and adventurous summer. Every day is something entirely new!
*Note: Soccer in Costa Rica is highly competitive; however, we will have pickup games for everyone who wants to play.
After beginning the day off right with a hearty breakfast and spending some time in the Word, it’s time to board a bus and head to a nearby village for ministry. After walking through and praying over the village, you will invite the locals to meet up at the town center for a game of futból (soccer). After the game, drama and dance performances are used as a platform to present the Gospel message and share with the locals your real reason for being in their beautiful land.
Finding creative ways to serve is another way you will impact this nation for Christ. This can be anything from picking up trash at a local park, helping someone paint their house, or even going down to the local grocery store and helping them stock their shelves! The opportunities to serve the Ticos are limitless when you come with a willing heart and a desire to serve. And if you are not a soccer player, during the games you'll build relationships and pour into the lives of the Ticos. Everything we do is a point of contact within which to build a relationship, and in Costa Rica, we build relationships with the locals so that they might have the ultimate relationship with Jesus as their Savior and Lord.Close
Costa Rica has something for everyone:
- If you are able at some level to speak Spanish. It really opens the doors to deeper ministry opportunities.
- If you love the outdoors, enjoy fantastic scenery, and the idea of walking through tropical rainforests sounds appealing, then you and Costa will be best buds
- If you have a love of caffeine… the coffee is so good you might as well go ahead and embrace it!
And last, but certainly not least, if you love to play soccer, then Costa Rica is the place for you. You’ll play so much you’ll be begging for a break! But at least you’ll be returning home with new playing skills and totally in shape!Close
The first time you look across the tropical valley, your sense of wonder will awaken. God’s fingerprints are all over creation in Costa Rica. This environment will open your heart to grow in new ways. You will learn what it means to know who God is and how to join Him in living out His story. You will also learn how to develop lasting relationships that bring true life to individuals. Fueling this passion will be the Word, as you spend a significant amount of time studying the life of Christ and see what true service is really about.
- Former student, Chris, said, “What God really taught me this summer is that God doesn’t just want you to learn more about Him. He wants to have a relationship that is like one that you would have with your best friend.”
- Ally said, “My new understanding of God and who I am in Christ has completely shattered my old thought of who God is.”